Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Holy lapse in posting, Batman! I've neglected my poor blog for nearly two months now, but that's because I have nothing newly made to share! With our trip to Indiana for Christmas and our big move later in January, I've just not had time. While I'm sure you were all waiting eagerly on the edge of your seat this whole time, dying to know what crafty goodness I'd been cooking up, sadly I'm here to report that my crafting supplies are still in boxes, waiting to be sorted and put away in the new basement. So what's been going on all this time?


Well, now that I've mentioned it... you can guess that a lot of what's kept me from updating is that Lucas and I moved into a brand new house a little over a week ago. It was not a scheduled event initially, but the increase in break-ins (including our own townhouse) in our old area prompted us to seek out greener pastures. We lucked out and found a gorgeous new house that was just recently built in a newly developed neighbourhood. The house was finished being built a week before Christmas, and thanks to the help of Michelle, Jeff, and Jeremy, we successfully moved in last Saturday. It took two full UHAUL trips and a lot of blood, sweat and tears... but we're finally mostly settled in. The house is so new that it doesn't even have grass yet; the builders plan to lay the sod for our yard in the spring. It has hardwood floors throughout the main floor, carpet upstairs, and together the two floors are just over 1400 square feet. That doesn't include the additional 700 square feet that make up our unfinished basement! We have lots of glorious space -- almost more than we know what to do with -- and it's a dream come true. I think Oliver loves the abundance of the big spacious windows the most; his favourite new place to be is either in the front office or lounging lazily on the middle landing of the carpeted staircase so he has the perfect view out the window over the foyer. And it was like the builders had our little family in mind when they put in the tall, skinny window alongside the front door -- it's the perfect width and height for Oliver to greet visitors, framing him perfectly.


So as you can imagine, shortly after getting back home from our Christmas trip to the States we had a lot of work ahead of us as we packed up the old place and made arrangements and worked out the details of the move. Once we got into the new place we had a lot of unpacking to do, and the basement craft area is unfortunately on the back burner until we can get everything else in place and get the basement wired properly for electricity outside of the laundry and freezer hookups. Eventually I will have an amazing craft room to work my magic in, but until there are places to put it all away in an organized fashion, my fabric and yarn stashes will have to wait patiently in their boxes. So don't be surprised if it's a little longer between updates for awhile. :(


Now that the move is behind us and we're settling in, it's time to focus forward. That includes the Serj Tankian concert coming up in next month -- our tickets were Valentine's Day presents to each other this year. I can't wait! Serj is one of the lead singers of System of a Down, my favourite band. Lucas treated me to a System of a Down concert last July, and I'm really looking forward to seeing my favourite member of the group perform his new (and absolutely brilliant) solo album live. If you haven't heard Serj's solo album, I highly recommend picking it up. His voice is music to my ears! The smaller venue concert at Mac Hall should be fantastic!


It's also time to focus back on the plans for our upcoming wedding, which have kind of been at a stand-still due to the move. By Christmas we had picked out the chapel in Vegas and fully paid for the package that we wanted, but we now need to make our flight and hotel reservations in the near future. We're hoping February will bring a great Westjet seat sale, so cross your fingers! Any future details will be put up on our Wedding Website as they are planned.


Hope you had a Happy New Year, and best of luck for a fabulous February!

No comments: